2014년 3월 14일 금요일

Hearing Simplicity, Simply Saying

Can anyone hear their own voice as others hear it? Along a similar vein, how many people hear their own voice when they write?  Of that written voice - that literary voice - how many people actually hear that?  Questions abound today for me, it seems.

People listen to people.  People don't pay attention to phonies, fakes and fraudsters; intentionally that is.  To rephrase: People listen to people who are human.  Being human means not to be phony, fake or feigning ones real intentions.  Kendrick Lamar says it best: I'm not the next pop-star, I'm not the next socially aware rapper.  I am (a Human fucking being over dope-ass instrumentation) Kendrick Lamar.¹

People who are listened to must have something to say.  How they say that something is important.  Important means to be heavy, to be weighty.  Not like a rock that you can feel weigh down your pocket; more like a boulder that is leaning against you and you against it.  What is important for me may not be for you, not because it isn't important for you too, but rather you just can't or don't feel it the same.

How can I make others feel what I say? Most importantly, how can I make the masses feel what I say and maybe even eager to feel what I say?  Many may say Ethos, Pathos and Logos, the three pillars of Aristotelian Rhetoric, are key, but such explanations are half-measures.  Instead let's listen to someone who embodies the aforementioned rhetorical appeals: I know some rappers are using big words to make their similes curve but my simplest shit be more pivotal. I penetrate the hearts of good kids and criminals...² 

There is an indescribable weightiness inherent within simplicity.  Simplicity begs to be heard.  One must strain to hear what is simply said.  In this sense simplicity speaks.  In it's own way, simplicity is the hardest complexity; the weightiest of all.  So then is complexity or difficulty or speciality less important than simplicity?

What is commonly held to be complex or difficult or specialized is not complex or difficult or special, essentially.  They are simply confusing or misleading.  Confusion is in it's own way simple because there is always a reason at root for such a confusion to arise.  But, it is not direct.  It is not simple.  Therefore, a distance exists that must be traversed in order to get to the root simplicity.  Sometimes the root to simplicity is easy or hard and sometimes it is known or remains unknown.  There remains always a relation.

Most if not everybody wants to be heard.  Only a minuscule minority are ever truly heard, and of that group an even smaller percentage penetrate the hearts and minds of the many.  It is that later group I too am struck by and feel compelled towards.  I can't help but feel that what and how they speak is anything other than simple.   

So why can't I simply speak simplicity?


¹ Lamar, Kendrick. Section.80 "Ab-Souls Outro feat. Ab-Soul"

² Lamar, Kendrick. Section.80 "Poe Mans Dreams ft. GLC"

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기