2018년 6월 8일 금요일

We Are All Astro Travellers


By now most have heard that the one and only Anthony Bourdain has left the world of the living. I'm not one to get struck by the passing of those I never met in real life, but when I read about Anthony I cried.

He was a teacher and a prophet: introducing and explaining largely unknown or unfamiliar parts of the world while constantly preaching the value to humanity of being a student of the world.

Anthony introduced me, in great detail, to many an amazing chef and city. No episode of any show has ever had as large of an impact though, as has the episode where Anthony covered in exquisite detail the city of Copenhagen where he introduced the head chef of the world renowned restaurant Noma, René Redzepi.

That is an episode I have watched over 15 times by now. It is a masterpiece.

I'll leave you with another beautifully brilliant hidden gem of a poem that was unearthed for me and the world in the Jamaica episode of Parts Unknown. The poem was uttered in heavilly accented Jamaican English, and is one of my favorite moments in all of broadcast history. It also happens to feel like the perfect way to send Anthony off.

RIP Anthony. You will be missed, so very much.

"It's a joyous day!
Let us find the sprit in man, and travel; to the unknown.
To think because we are here in the present, it hasn't just started; this is coming - reality - out of the unknown, out of the nothingness. And we are going to go on into the infamous; into the celestial. 
We are what you call Astro Travellers. So we are travelling from dimension to dimension.
If one man die, all men dead; and one man live, all men live.
Tell the ranks!
One dog, one cat, one goat, one fowl, one moon, one sun; it had to be multi purpose in order to sustain energy and life. So you have black, blue, green, pink, yellow, river, sea, mountain, birds, dogs - Man. 
Everything is travelling on such. Everything is relative.
The car, the money.
Everything is connected to the universe. 
So whether you are one person that does not realize how vulnerable we are within the changes of time, the earth will not disappear my brethren.
Because I and I!"

~ Parts Unknown, Jamaica

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기