2018년 4월 19일 목요일

A Culture of High Standards

Since yesterday afternoon I have read and re-read the latest Amazon Shareholder Letter from Jeff Bezos a couple times.

As always it is a must read for the clear value it provides to anyone (read: any current or potential Amazon customer) who takes the time to read it over.

I have already tweeted a bunch of the more apparent points, particularly regarding the emphasis Bezos places on high standards - because, clarity shines on Tweeter - so I wanted to highlight one of the subtler aspects here.

I'll quote Bezos in full:

"[The] more subtle [benefits of high standards]: a culture of high standards is protective of all the “invisible” but crucial work that goes on in every company. I’m talking about the work that no one sees. The work that gets done when no one is watching. In a high standards culture, doing that work well is its own reward – it’s part of what it means to be a professional."

Doing invisible work. And being ok with doing invisible work.

I have come across too many people who simply can't be bothered to do anything if they aren't sure others will notice.

This is directly linked to what I have written about a few times [here & here] regarding signaling, a topic that Robin Hanson has discussed endlessly.

The fact of the matter is that, according to the statistics that I think I remember, at least 95% of people "need" the signal from whatever they do to be public, and it is from the gap between this 'need' and the imperative for work to be done, for the success of a project or company, that failures or delays arise. Or at least I think that is a major factor.

[Side note: As I write this, the irony is not lost to me that I am about to post this to a public blog ;)]

So for everyone who is already doing that invisible work: Respect.

And for those of my readers who may not be doing invisible work yet: Baby steps.

The next time you get an email without a million folks CC'd asking for a quick favor for something very important, or if you happen to read over a report that you weren't involved in and catch a major mistake, take care of it, because even if the light of success doesn't directly fall on you, you will still be able to bask in its warmth.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기