2018년 12월 31일 월요일

2018 Reading List in Review

I'm not one for resolutions, but at the outset of 2018 I decided that I would read at least one book a month.

With a day to go until 2019 I've completed 19 books and I am in the middle of book number 20. *pats self on back*

Unlike most 'reading list in review' posts, I won't give you a book report on each book I read - that would be a waste of my time and yours.

Instead I will bucket each of the 19 books I read under one of three categories: Books I'd like to re-read again in their entirety; books I'll review certain parts of again; and books that are good enough to read once, but not again.

This way I can provide an easy to understand and quickly actionable list of books for anyone who reads this.

When appropriate I'll add some additional commentary below certain books, but for the most part I'd like deeper discussion on any of the books to take place in the replies and comments - so feel free to ask or talk about any of the books in my list.

Books That I'll Re-read
Things Hidden Since the Foundation of The World by René Girard

René essentially combines Mimetic Desire and Scapegoat Theory to explain everything - literally everything - about mankind's history since our essential break from the rest of the animal kingdom along with a very interesting proposal for humanity. The message of this book is so simple, yet so profound and far reaching that I will probably have to read this book once a year every year to fully internalize its full import.

The Everything Store by Brad Stone

The ups and downs of Amazon should be inspiration to anyone who is trying to start a blockchain business.

Propoganda by Edward Bernays

A short piece of actual propaganda which makes it clear that the basically everyone is trying to shape our opinion in someway for some sort of specific purpose. This was my second re-reading.

Skin in the Game by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Inspiration to think rigorously, simply and mathematically.

Books That I'll Review
Sex at Dawn by Chris Ryan and Cacilda Jethá

Humans are more like bonobos, not chimpanzees. Thought provoking book challenging fundamental social norms, mores and narratives around male and female sexuality.

Seeing Like a State by James C. Scott

Think about how bureaucracies see and approach the world.

The Square and the Tower: Networks and Power, from the Freemasons to Facebook by Niall Ferguson

It's a mistake to conceive of the state and market as a simple dichotomy since hierarchies are just a special kind of network.

Networks may be spontaneously creative, but they are not strategic. Networks are not easily directed 'towards a common objective'. Large, vertically organized corporations are able to strategically concentrate resources in space and time towards specific ends, but can be vulnerable against networks powered by powerful new technology.

The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki

Highly relevant to understanding 'sorting' on Cent, particularly the four conditions of wise crowds:

1. Diversity of Opinion (i.e. each person should bring some private information)

2. Independence (i.e. people's opinions should not be determined by the opinions of those around them)

3. Decentralization (i.e. people are able to specialize and draw on local knowledge)

4. Aggregation (i.e. some mechanism should be able turn private judgements into collective action)

Radical Markets by Glen Weyl and Eric Posner

Fresh ideas for re-thinking mechanism design - obvious parallels and potential applications to crypto.

Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan

Different mediums affect and at the same time are an extension of the sense lives of individuals with potentially far reaching socio-political impacts. Blockchain is the ultimate money medium.

The Paper Chase by John Jay Osborne Jr.

Interesting pedagogical philosophy.

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

A must read for any founder or anyone interested in non-traditional forms leadership.

One and Done Books
Neuromancer by William Gibson

The Upstarts by Brad Stone

The China Fantasy by James Mann

Why I Write by George Orwell

The Art of the Deal by Donald J. Trump

Be persistent. Keep emailing someone your ideas until they respond. Don't give up until you get what you want. Most people give up before they get what they want.

Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell

The House That Jack Ma Built by Duncan Clark

The Accidental Billionaires by Beb Mezrich

-fin-

p.s. I am in the middle of Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital: The Dynamics of Bubbles and Golden Ages by Carlota Perez and will not be able to finish it before 2019, thus I will include in my 2019 Reading List in Review.

p.p.s. @Ezincrypto I hope this list satisfies your original request for a list of books I read;)

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기