2018년 12월 8일 토요일

Algorithms for Good Living

[First published on Cent]

With 2018 quickly coming to a close, I'm beginning to reflect on what I've done this year.

A big part of that reflection revolves around the books I've read since January.

Normally I have a good memory for what I've read in any given year, so I was a bit perplexed when I scanned my '2018 - Read' checklist in Diaro without seeing anything from Yuval Noah Harari.

I knew I read Sapiens last year, but I could've sworn I read Homo Deus in January. Nope. Wrong.

According to my '2017 - Read' list it turns out that I read Homo Deus last September. Well, alright.

Anyways, as I was reading through the notes that I has jotted down over the course of my reading (as I try to do with every book) I paused over this little nugget:

"Algorithm: A methodological set of steps to make calculations, resolve problems and reach decisions."

I love that definition of algorithm. It's so simple. Not only does it perfectly convey the elegant power of algorithmic thinking, it shows that algorithms are tools. Tools to help us live better, to live the good life.

There's a simple but effective algorithm that I like to use whenever I eat out.

If it's a good place, I order the special. If it's a bad place, I order what they can't screw up.

I'm curious if my fellow Centians have any tried and true good living algorithms that they employ regularly or in specific situations. Please share and let's upgrade our lives together.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기