2018년 11월 29일 목요일

Anniversaries

[This post first appeared on Cent]

When I was a kid I remember always being a little confused every April when one night, late in the month, a baby sitter would come and my parents would leave on a date.

They'd tell me it was their 5th anniversary or 10th anniversary or whatever, so that meant it was a special day.

I'd nod, slowly, then furrow my brow a bit, and say ok.

But I never really got it. Why only do something special once a year?

I'm married now, and actually my own wedding anniversary is today, but I still don't get it.

Yeah, of course remembering great times gone by is important. Making sure you eek out at least one day a year to do that is probably why the tradition of marking anniversaries is around - but it's the bare minimum.

I get it though, as everyone with kids always reminds me, having kids changes everything. "Me time" let alone "couple time" basically disappears, or so I'm told. So perhaps kids really make it impossible for couples to remember what they had; save for one day a year.

To me though...that seems...like...kinda dumb, ya know?

While I don't have a kid (yet?), cherishing the ever deepening love, respect and admiration I have and feel for my wife is something I actively do every morning before we part.

We call it our morning vows. I say: "사랑해 쏘 많이. I'll love you always and forever, deeper and deeper, from the bottom to the top. Love through action. I'll over serve and out serve you with each passing day. All while achieving our plans for [insert year] and beyond." After which I take her wedding ring out of my pocket and slip it on her finger just like I did at our actual wedding.

So if wedding anniversaries are about remembering that original day, I guess everyday is our wedding anniversary. We live our love as much as we remember it.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기