2018년 3월 18일 일요일

Cent - Chapter 4 Global Treasure Hunts

*This is the fourth part in a fictional, forward-looking series based on the site beta.cent.co*

I had been on Cent for about 2 years when the idea came to me.

As a Centurion, a regular responder and publisher on the Cent network with nearly 50,000 supporting followers and 25 personal Centurions, I was pulling in close to USD 15,000 per month - all whilst remaining gainfully employed.

Having had no reason to spend much of the earnings from Cent aside from ensuring responders to my writings had a healthy bounty or asking a few bountied questions, I had amassed quite a healthy surplus. Not to get too specific, but it was in the six-figures.

I forget when exactly I heard it, but it was on an episode of the Epicenter podcast where I first caught wind of an interesting little app that allowed anyone to geo-tag information to highly precise GPS coordinates. Any information, from digital letters to multi-sig addresses.

Like Pokemon Go any user could see this digitally tagged information by looking at the world through the screen of their phone. So if I pasted a digital letter in the middle of Times Square, anyone with the app installed would be able to see it; otherwise it would remain hidden.

My mind immediately connected this app with the idea of a global treasure hunt for my 25 loyal Centurions. My Centurions were (and still are) like a cross between work colleagues and best mates to me.

I wanted to reward them not just for all the time and effort they'd put in reading my writing, fostering discussion, and curating comments - all of which they had been compensated for - but for all the other intangible value they provided by sending them all on a vacation that could double as a treasure hunt with a cash payout of USD 25,000 for one lucky Centurion.

The premise was simple, since every Cent user had a public address key linked with their profile I would deposit the value of a ticket from their home city to Seoul plus the cost of lodging at a hotel I reserved ahead of time. I encouraged everyone to come out on a certain date and let them know they should block out around two weeks since I had something special planned for them.

A few couldn't make it but they were free to keep the funds I sent them. About 20 were excited for this mysterious trip I had planned.

After they arrived and we had a day to talk about our work and roles and future vision for what we were doing on Cent, I instructed them to download the app that let them view digital tags set in the real world and unveiled my ultimate surprise for them.

I gave them a riddle whose answer would point them towards a specific place in Seoul where I had set a digital tag that contained 20 separate 2 of 2 multisig addresses, each based on their public keys, that once unlocked with their matching private key (and mine) would give each of them enough money to purchase a ticket for Mumbai.

The attached letter would contain a riddle that if broken would point them towards a specific place to head to in Mumbai looking for another digital tag that would contain another riddle, but only 15 separate 2 of 2 multisig addresses with the funds needed to travel to the next city.

Each subsequent city would have 5 less addresses with funds for a plane ticket to and lodging in the next city. The final five Centurions would be racing to find the last multisig address with USD 25,000 stored in it.

This was the first of many epic annual gatherings our tiny, but economically more than self-sufficient stack of Centians would hold. I'd like to think that we played an important early role in showing the power and possibility small social sub-networks could have when everyone is economically incentivized.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기