2018년 10월 2일 화요일

Extraordinary Ordinary Americans

I just walked out of a movie very surprised - well not I, but we: My wife and I. We're kinda shocked, actually, with what we just spent the last 120+ minutes watching - Michael Moore's new film 'Fahrenheit 11/9'.

After a long evening spent strolling through Portland's Southeast Belmont, Stark and Burnside neighborhoods, about a 4 minute walk from where we're staying, we passed the perhaps famous(?) but in any event rad Bagdad Theatre. There was one last movie showing for the night at the Bagdad. And it looked not terrible.

At least the ratings aren't that bad; even if I can smell the narrative from 6 feet under. Or so I thought.

While the movie does for sure take aim at Trump (including an awkward as hell montage where Moore tried as best as he could - but crucially without ever stating it explicitly - that the current POTUS got all West Virginian on his daughter at some point), the whole film was an assassination on the entire political framework and cast of characters over at least the past 30 years.

Obama. Between the eyes.
Hilary. Murked.
Bush. You already know.
Clinton. Zee-boom.
Rick Snyder. Murked in front of his kids.

As for the current party in power including DJT? Well, as Moore would like you to think, *they* are at best a group of maniacal, ultra-rich racists or at worst the second coming of the third-reich.

The latter point is what was pretty surprising: whereas the reviews that I read before the movie made it seem like Moore singled out POTUS as the next Hitler - hence leading me to assume the complete narrative initially - what ended up happening was Moore sacrificing all traditional politics beginning with the "fascist-probably" Republicans and continuing on to the elitist and treasonously (Bernie got robbed!) self-serving Democrats.

While Moore dismisses any rank-and-file Democrat he provides a decent amount of time on some incredibly promising new politicians. For me at least that was an eye opener. While Moore didn't present this grouping as such, they represent what I see a a real potentially powerful third political party.

Despite the politicians themselves self-labeling as either Democrat or Republican, it may very well only be a matter of time until a formal announcement; or very well "announcements" - plural - are made.

At least that was my initial takeaway after the movie ended and my wife and I slowly began to make our way to the exits.

The wind was snappy and brisk on the walk home. What optimism I had been feeling about the future prospects of my mother country cooled a bit.

You gotta have faith, but there are times when you gotta be real. And it looks like shit is about to get (or at the very least could very easily get) real.

Regardless, we need some Extraordinary Ordinary Americans asap.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기