2018년 10월 3일 수요일

Sequoia Sempervirens

There is something special about watching a classic film in an old theatre. I think it's the 'seeing something as it was intended to be seen' coupled with 'this is how so many before me saw it' that makes me feel nostalgic.

Tonight I did just that. I saw Hitchcock's 'Vertigo' over at the Laurelhurst Theater on East Burnside Street.

It's a great film with a quick end, but what struck me about the movie, which happened to be set in SF, was a particularly short scene within a redwood forest.

There Cary Grant's character John (or Scottie) informs us of the redwood's scientific name: sequoia sempervirens. The latinate species 'sempervirens' translates to 'always green' or 'ever living'.

It's a fun fact, and I instantly thought of Sequoia Capital, the famous VC-firm, and how boss their name actually is. They want to be around forever. And with their run of amazing investments, their capital will remain and keep them evergreen.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기